Conferences and Workshops
National Conference on Youth Employment
“Challenges and Opportunities” 17-18 December 2012
• To initiate policy dialogue on youth employment at the national and local levels;
• To raise awareness on the Youth Employment opportunities in Jordan;
• To identify Youth Employment challenges and opportunities at the local level (within governorates), and the main issues hindering legal and organizational reform related to Youth Employment; and
• To agree on key steps to interpret conference conclusions into practical actions.
Employability skills workshops
In order to address the challenge of lack of employability skills of candidates, the Project will provide interns with the needed skills that would prepare them to effectively enter the labour market.
Prior to their internships, selected interns attended workshops on employability, communications and IT skills plus English courses in their Governorates.
The Employability Skills Workshops took place from 17 June to 3 July 2012 targeting the 6-months internship participants.
The Project Inception Conference took place in Amman on 2 July 2012 with the presence of 43 participants representing the Embassy of Japan, Ministry of Labour, the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, Higher Council for Youth, international organizations, private sector companies from the three Governorates, and members of the civil society.
The workshop introduced the “Youth Employment Generation Programme in Arab Transition Countries - Jordan Component” to the participants. Discussions took place on apprenticeship in Jordan with presentations from ILO, IYF and IRADA regarding their training programmes. The workshops enabled sharing of experiences and lessons learnt on apprenticeship; discussions and recommendations will be integrated in the National Implementation Plan.
- Khaled Qubaja, UNDP “ Youth Employment Generation Programme in Arab transition countries – Jordan component” (English)
- Patrick Daru, ILO “Upgrading Informal Apprenticeship in Jordan” (English)
- Ghada Salem and Shatha Al Haj, IYF “Employability and Internship Approach” (English)
- Ghassan Abu-Amara, Irada “Enhanced Productivity Program” (English)
International Youth Day Graduation Ceremony
The graduation ceremony took place on the occasion of the International Youth Day on 12 August in Amman and gathered 120 participants from the Embassy of Japan, Ministries, International and national Youth supporting organizations, Private Sector companies along with the interns participating in the internship programme in the 3 Governorates ( Ma'an, Madaba and Al Mafraq). The participants shared an 'iftar' (breaking fast) all together. Afterwards the interns were delivered by the Embassy of Japan and UNDP a certificate for their participation in the employability skills workshops.
The website of the project (www.undp.youthjo.com) was launched on this occasion.
The event was also an opportunity to express appreciation for UN Volunteers' committment and work.